What is Maalox Plus Suspension?
Maalox Plus is a form of treatment for heartburn, indigestion, and flatulence. It works by reducing the amount of acid in the stomach as well as reducing the amount of gas in the stomach. There are three active ingredients:
- Magnesium hydroxide
- Aluminium hydroxide gel
The first two are what are known as antacids. These are what neutralise the stomach acid to relieve indigestion and heartburn. The third ingredient, simeticone, is an anti-foaming agent. This helps to reduce bloating in the stomach, which is a common cause of flatulence (accumulation of gas).
Uses / Instructions
For children between 2-5
Only give them one 5ml spoonful, up to three times a day, between 20 minutes to one hour after a meal.
For children between 5-12
Give them the 5ml up to four times a day.
For children between 12-18
Increase the dosage to two spoonfuls up to fours times a day.
Two spoonfuls up to fours times a day. Shake the bottle well before using.
Do not take Maalox Plus if:
- You are allergic (hypersensitive) to dried aluminium hydroxide gel, magnesium hydroxide, simeticone or any of the other ingredients in Maalox Plus. Signs of an allergic reaction include: a rash, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
- You are feeling very weak and have no energy (debilitated).
- You have kidney disease / kidney failure
- You have low levels of phosphate (called ‘hypophosphataemia’). This is shown up in blood
Do not take this medicine if any of the above apply to you. If you are not sure, talk to your doctor or
pharmacist before taking Maalox Plus.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Maalox Plus if:
– You are on a low-phosphorous diet
– You are suffering from porphyria and are undergoing haemodialysis.
In small children use of magnesium hydroxide may cause hypermagnesemia particularly if they have renal impairment or dehydration.
Like with many medicines, there is the possibility of side effects. Potential side effects include:
- Abdominal pain
Each bottle contains the following active substances in each 5ml of suspension: 230mg of dried aluminium hydroxide gel, 200mg of magnesium hydroxide and 25mg of simeticone
• The other ingredients are: domiphen bromide, microcrystalline cellulose, methylcellulose, hydroxypropylcellulose, hydrogen peroxide, citric acid monohydrate, sodium saccharin, sorbitol (E420), carmellose sodium, lemon flavour, swiss cream flavour and water.
United Kingdom (UK)