Dioctyl 100mg capsules are a laxative medication that can help to ease your constipation. It’s perfect for those who are suffering from constipation that has lasted for a long time or for those who are having a stomach X-Ray. You can also use Dioctyl if you’re suffering from piles, as it can make it easier for you to poo.
If you have difficulty going to the toilet because of dry poos or haemorrhoids, or have a tear in the lining of the intestine near the anus, Dioctyl Docusate Sodium can be incredibly helpful.
As well as capsules, the active substance in Dioctyl Docusate Sodium can be found in liquid form, and also as an enema. Enemas are a tube of liquid medicine that is squeezed into the anus.
Key facts about Dioctyl Docusate Sodium:
- Docusate capsules like Dioctyl Capsules can take 1 or 2 days to work.
- Only give docusate to a child under 12 years old if their doctor has prescribed it.
- Do not take Dioctyl Docusate Sodium for more than a week without talk with a doctor.
- Common side effects include feeling sick.
Uses / Instructions
Adults and children over 12 years old and elderly
- Up to five capsules daily in divided doses. The capsule should be swallowed whole with a glass of water.
The recommended dose in adults and adolescents (12 years and older) is:
• Maximum dose is 5 capsules although you may need less
• Take your capsules one at a time at regular intervals throughout the day
• Swallow Dioctyl capsules whole with a drink of water
• Reduce the dose as your condition gets better
• If you have been told to take Dioctyl during a stomach X-ray, you should take four capsules.
Your doctor will tell you exactly when to take the capsules.
Please do not use this medication if you are allergic to docusate sodium or any of the other ingredients listed in the patient information leaflet.
Like all medicines, Dioctyl 100mg Capsules Side Effects can occur, but not everybody will experience them.
If any of the following Dioctyl 100mg Capsules Side Effects happen, stop taking this medicine and speak to a doctor as soon as possible:
Rare: may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people
- Feel sick
- Stomach cramps
Not known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data
- Skin rash
- Pruritus (itching)
These capsules are yellow and white soft gelatin capsules containing 100 mg of the active ingredient dioctyl docusate sodium.
See patient information leaflet for a full list of ingredients.
United Kingdom (UK)