The name of your medicine is Candesartan cilexetil. The active ingredient is candesartan cilexetil. This belongs to a group of medicines called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. It works by making your blood vessels relax and widen. This helps to lower your blood pressure. It also makes it easier for your heart to pump blood to all parts of your body.
This medicine is used for:
• treating high blood pressure (hypertension) in adult patients and in children and adolescents aged 6 to <18 years.
• Candesartan cilexetil can be used to treat adult heart failure patients with reduced heart muscle function when
Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) inhibitors cannot be used or in addition to ACE-inhibitors when symptoms persist despite treatment and mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists (MRA) cannot be used. (ACE-inhibitors
and MRAs are medicines used to treat heart failure).
Uses / Instructions
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- The recommended dose of Candesartan cilexetil is 8 mg once a day. Your doctor may increase this dose to 16 mg once a day and further up to 32 mg once a day depending on blood pressure response.
- In some patients, such as those with liver problems, kidney problems or those who recently have lost body fluids, e.g., through vomiting or diarrhoea or by using water tablets, the doctor may prescribe a lower starting dose
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Candesartan cilexetil
• if you have heart, liver or kidney problems, or are on dialysis.
• if you have recently had a kidney transplant.
• if you are vomiting, have recently had severe vomiting, or have diarrhoea.
• if you have a disease of the adrenal gland called Conn’s syndrome (also called primary hyperaldosteronism).
• if you have low blood pressure.
• if you have ever had a stroke.
• you must tell your doctor if you think you are (or might become) pregnant
Candesartan cilexetil is not recommended in early pregnancy, and must not be taken if you are more than 3 months pregnant, as it may cause serious harm to your baby if used at that stage (see pregnancy section).
• if you are taking any of the following medicines used to treat high blood pressure:
– an ACE-inhibitor (for example enalapril, lisinopril, ramipril), in particular if you have
diabetes-related kidney problems.
• if you are taking an ACE-inhibitor together with a medicine which belongs to the class of medicines known as mineralocorticoid receptors antagonists (MRA). These medicines are for the treatment of heart failure (see “Other medicines and Candesartan cilexetil ”).”
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. It is important that you are aware of what these side effects may be.
Common (affects 1 to 10 users in 100)
• Feeling dizzy/spinning sensation.
• Respiratory infection.
• Low blood pressure. This may make you feel faint or dizzy.
• Changes in blood test results:
– An increased amount of potassium in your blood, especially if you already have kidney problems or heart failure. If this is severe you may notice tiredness, weakness, irregular heart beat or pins and needles.
• Effects on how your kidneys work, especially if you already have kidney problems or heart failure. In very rare cases, kidney failure may occur.
The active substances is candesartan cilexetil. Each tablet contains 2 mg, 4 mg, 8 mg,
16 mg or 32 mg of candesartan cilexetil.
For a list of other ingredients see the patient information leaflet of the pack you receive as different generic brands may use different other ingredients.
United Kingdom (UK)