Amorolfine 5% w/v medicated nail lacquer is used to treat fungal infections affecting up to 2 nails and affecting the upper half or sides of the nail. The active ingredient of this medicine is amorolfine (as the hydrochloride) which belongs to a group of medicines known as antifungals. Amorolfine kills a wide variety of fungi that can cause nail infections. A fungal nail infection is likely to result in discoloured (white, yellow or brown), thick or brittle nails, although their appearance can vary considerably.
Before using amorolfine
To make sure this is the right treatment for you, before you start using amorolfine nail lacquer it is important that your doctor or pharmacist knows:
- If the infection covers more than half of your nail, or if more than two nails are infected.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding. This is because, while you are expecting or feeding a baby, you should only take/use medicines on the recommendation of a doctor.
- If you have raised blood sugar levels (diabetes mellitus) or have problems with your circulation.
- If you are taking any other medicines or using any other medicated skin preparations. This includes any which are available to buy without a prescription, as well as herbal and complementary medicines.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to a medicine or to a skin preparation.