Fluconazole belongs to a group of medicines called “antifungals”. The active substance is fluconazole. Fluconazole is used to treat infections caused by fungi and may also be used to stop you from getting a candidal infection. The most common cause of fungal infection is a yeast called Candida.
You might be given this medicine by your doctor to treat the following types of fungal infections:
– Genital thrush – infection of the vagina or penis
You might also be given Fluconazole capsules to:
– reduce recurrence of vaginal thrush
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking fluconazole capsules if:
• you are suffering from liver or kidney problems
• you are suffering from heart disease, including heart rhythm problems
• you have abnormal levels of potassium, calcium or magnesium in your blood
• develop severe skin reactions (itching, reddening of the skin or difficulty in breathing)
• you develop signs of ‘adrenal insufficiency’ where the adrenal glands do not produce adequate amounts of certain steroid hormones such as cortisol (chronic, or long lasting fatigue, muscle weakness, loss of appetite, weight loss, abdominal pain)
• the fungal infection does not improve, as alternative antifungal therapy may be needed.
• you have ever developed a severe skin rash or skin peeling, blistering and/or mouth sores after taking Fluconazole capsules
Common side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10 people) are:
– stomach discomfort, diarrhoea, feeling sick, vomiting
– increases in blood tests of liver function
Uncommon side effects (may affect up to 1 in 100 people) are:
– reduction in red blood cells which can make skin pale and cause weakness or breathlessness
– decreased appetite
– inability to sleep, feeling drowsy
– fit, dizziness, sensation of spinning, tingling, pricking or numbness, changes in sense of taste
– constipation, difficult digestion, wind, dry mouth
– muscle pain
– liver damage and yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice)
– wheals, blistering (hives), itching, increased sweating
– tiredness, general feeling of being unwell, fever
See patient information for a full list of side effects.
The active substance is Fluconazole.
For a list of other ingredients please see the patient information leaflet of the pack you receive as different brands use different other ingredients.