What is Nurofen Plus?
Nurofen Plus works to relieve acute to moderate aches and pains that have not been relieved by other painkillers such as paracetamol or aspirin. This product contains ibuprofen a common painkiller and Codeine phosphate which is an opioid analgesic to provide short-term relief from pain.
What pain can this product be used to relieve?
This product can be used from the age of 12 and upwards for the relief from acute, moderate pain that has been caused by:
- Muscular pain
- Period pain
- Rheumatic pain
How can Nurofen help to ease pain?
The active ingredients in Nurofen Plus are Ibuprofen abd Codeine Phosphate, Ibuprofen belongs to a group of medicines known as Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). This provides relief by changing the body’s response to pain, swelling and high temperature. Codeine Phosphate is an opioid analgesic and it works by stopping pain signals from travelling along the nerves to the brain. Both ingredients work together to reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
Uses / Instructions
Swallow 1 – 2 tablets with water, up to 3 times a day as required. Leave at least 4 hours between doses. Do NOT take more than 6 tablets in any 24 hours.
This medicine is intended for short-term use only. You should take the lowest dose for the shortest time necessary to relieve your symptoms. This product is only suitable for adults, the elderly and children aged 12 years and older.
Do Not Take if You:
- Have (or have had two or more episodes of) a stomach ulcer, perforation or bleeding.
- Are allergic to ibuprofen, codeine or any other ingredient of the product, aspirin or other related painkillers.
- Are taking other NSAID painkillers, or aspirin with a daily dose above 75mg.
- Have breathing difficulties.
- Suffer from severe liver, kidney or heart problems.
- Suffer from chronic constipation.
- Have had gastrointestinal bleeding or perforation when previously taking NSAIDs.
- Have had a worsening of asthma, skin rash, itchy runny nose or facial swelling when previously taking ibuprofen, aspirin, or similar medicines.
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Are under 12 years old.
- Are taking Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors or have taken these in the last 14 days.
- Know that you metabolise codeine into morphine rapidly.
- For pain relief in children and adolescents after removal of their tonsils or adenoids due to obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome.
Please see patient information leaflet for full list of warnings.
Some people may have side-effects when taking this medicine. If you have any unwanted side-effects you should seek advice from your doctor, pharmacist or other healthcare professional.
Stop taking this medicine and seek immediate medical help if you develop:
- Signs of intestinal bleeding such as bright red faeces, black tarry stools, vomiting blood or dark particles that look like coffee grounds
- Signs of rare but serious allergic reaction such as severe skin rashes, peeling, flaking or blistering skin, facial swelling, unexplained wheezing, shortness of breath, easy bruising
- A severe skin reaction known as DRESS syndrome can occur. Symptoms of DRESS include skin rash, fever, swelling of lymph nodes and an increase of eosinophils ( a type of white blood cells).
Tell your doctor if you experience:
- Chest pain or fast, irregular heartbeat
- Constipation, stomach pain or other abnormal stomach symptoms
- Decreased appetite, depression, hallucination, blurred vision
- Headache, nausea, dizziness or drowsiness
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Liver and kidney problems
- Rashes, itching or worsening of asthma
- Sweating, thirst, muscle weakness or tremors, sleeplessness
How do you know if you are addicted?
If you take the medicine according to the instructions on the pack it is unlikely that you will become addicted to the medicine. However, if the following apply to you it is important that you talk to your doctor:
- You need to take the medicine for longer periods of time
- You need to take more than the recommended dose
- When you stop taking the medicine you feel very unwell, but you feel better if you start taking the medicine again
Please see patient information leaflet for full list
Ibuprofen 200mg, Codeine Phosphate 12.8mg.
Nurofen Plus. Contains ibuprofen & codeine. For 3 days use only. Can cause addiction. For pain relief. Always read the label.
Please see product leaflet for full list of ingredients
United Kingdom (UK)