What is Midrid?
Midrid capsules are a pain relief medication that helps to ease pain caused by migraines or throbbing headaches. They can be used the moment a migraine strikes, helping you to manage your pain until the migraine has passed.
What is a migraine?
A migraine is a throbbing headache that occurs in one side of your head, which can also be accompanied by other uncomfortable symptoms. Before you have a migraine, you might experience a migraine aura – warning symptoms that tell you that you are about to get a migraine. Some of the other symptoms that you might experience with a migraine or migraine aura include:
- Struggling to concentrate
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Feeling too hot or cold
- Stomach pain
- Visual problems, e.g. blind spots, seeing zig-zags or flashing lights
- Feeling dizzy
- Difficulty speaking
How can Midrid ease my migraines?
Midrid contains the active ingredients paracetamol and isometheptene, which work together to ease the pain caused by migraines. Paracetamol is a popular painkiller that eases pain while also helping to reduce high temperatures. Isometheptene helps to return swollen blood vessels to normal after they become swollen during a migraine, reducing the throbbing pain that you experience with a migraine.
- Midrid is not suitable for use by children.
- Do not use this product if you are allergic to paracetamol, isometheptene mucate, or any of the other listed ingredients in this product.
- You should avoid alcohol on the same day that you take this product.
Do not take Midrid if you:
- Have severe problems with your kidneys, liver, or heart
- Suffer from high blood pressure
- Have glaucoma (increased pressure inside the eye)
- Taking medicines for depression known as Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs), or have taken any within the past 14 days
- Have porphyria, a genetic blood disorder
- Are pregnant, think you might be pregnant, are breastfeeding, or in the first few weeks after childbirth
Speak to your doctor or our pharmacist before using this product if you:
- Have diabetes
- Have cardiovascular diseases
- Have an overactive thyroid
- Have a spinal cord injury
- Have liver damage caused by alcoholism
- Have an eating disorder
Like all medicines, Midrid can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. These side effects include:
- A rash or similar allergic reaction if you are allergic to paracetamol
- Tingling/cold fingers or toes
- Blood-related problems, e.g. bruising, blue tinge to skin, dizziness, tiredness, problems breathing, severe sore throat
See patient information leaflet for more details.
Each capsule contains 325mg paracetamol and 65mg isometheptene mucate.
Midrid also contains microcrystalline cellulose, talc and colloidal silicon dioxide.
The capsule shell contains gelatin, water, titanium dioxide (E171), erythrosine (E127), quinoline yellow (E104), indigotine (E132) and a very small amount of printing ink